Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Hanso Challenge Part Deux

I don't know how many times and in how many blog posts I am going to sing the praises of my ward in PC but yet once again this blog post is to brag just a little bit more.

I love my Bishop. (Yes, I know we all love our Bishops but really, I LLUUUVV my Bishop) Today he gave our ward a goal...that now I am going to give to you all in hopes you will do it with me...(Yes this means you, Brad, Christin, John, Tyler, Ariana, Polly, and Phil)

It really doesn't have a name, but I am calling it the

THE HANSO CHALLENGE PART DEUX!
A Vision Quest for Power, the Word, Truth, Light, and Spirit

He first gave us these two scriptures and asked us that they had in common:

Alma 38:9
9And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is ano other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the blight of the world. Behold, he is the word of truth and crighteousness.

Doctrine and Covenatns 84: 45- 47
45 For the aword of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is blight, and whatsoever is light is cSpirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ.
46 And the aSpirit giveth blight to cevery man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.
47 And every one that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit acometh unto God, even the Father.

Clearly stated it shows the the Power comes from the Word, and the Word brings forth the Spirit, which then upholds the Light in each of us.

Therefore, the word is our scriptures which hold the keys to our light.

He then gave us a quote from President Ezra Taft Benson about the power of the Book of Mormon. Which was amazing and I have yet to get which exact quote it was but I hopefully will soon. BUT while looking for it I came across two great talks/articles of his that really moved me. Here and Here. (Enjoy!)

From there he also went in to discuss and explain to us that "Fear and faith cannot dwell in the same place at the same time." Which I think is something that we all deal with on a daily basis and it was great to have a leader of our ward help us not only see that but also push us to have greater faith. Driving home the point he then says to us, " Guys, we are not learning anything new, we are remembering everything we all ready know."

Next he had us read:

1 Nephi 16:1-2
And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of speaking to my brethren, behold they said unto me: Thou hast declared unto us hard things, more than we are able to bear.
2 And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken ahard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the bguilty taketh the ctruth to be hard, for it dcutteth them to the very center.

and then asked us to read verse 3 to show the opposition of verses 1 and 2:


3 And now my brethren, if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might awalk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.


In finishing he then asked, "ARE YOU SEARCHING FOR CHRIST?"

The GOAL: TO READ 10 PAGES OF THE BOOK OF MORMON EVERYDAY MARKING (he asked in yellow) EVERY, THOUGHT, FEELING OR REFERENCE TO JESUS CHRIST.
The PURPOSE: To grow in word, truth, light and the Spirit while also growing closer to our Savior Jesus Christ

The Rules:

1. Pray to have the Spirit with you before you study.
Pray for: the ability to receive revelation
-to be sensitive to the Spirit.
-to understand what you are reading.
-to be able to recognize the Spirit and what revelation might be coming to you.

2. DO NOT read in bed or lying down.
This will ensure that you are reading with a real intent.

He told us of the missionaries that have done this and it changed their lives.
He told us of the people who have done this and it changed their hearts.
He told us of wards and stakes who have done this and it brought them together.

He handed us a bookmark with a checklist on it and then he also told us that accomplishing this challenge it will help us understand the power of The Book of Mormon through the word, learn of the truth, feel of the Spirit, and see the light in the Savior Jesus Christ.

I hope for those of you who are struggling, or in a place in your lives that you have seen that you need something more, you will not only join me but also my ward in giving yourself the chance to have you life changed.

The only question I have is: Are you ready?



2 comments:

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

THANK YOU for this Bridget! I am excited to try out the advice...

Anonymous said...

I don't have a bookmark. Not fair.

I'm actually pretty excited to start this out. Thanks for sharing!