Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Freak Show Bridget.

This week has been trying.
Mostly due to boredom.
Everyone has been asking what happened so here is the story.

Last Thursday was just like any other work day for me.
I went in to Maxwell's and opened the bar just like I have done a hundred times before.
My shift was a shorter one, about 9:30 to 3 ish and my plans for the evening were to attend a photography seminar in SLC.
A little before 3 I was checking around the bar to make sure I mostly everything done for the next bartender.
(He likes to give me a hard time so I get a little anxious making sure everything is done.)
Realizing I needed to get some more ice and plates I went to hurry under the bar to get them.
Now, for those of you who haven't seen the bar... it's huge and very pretty. It is also made of solid wood.
Solid. Wood.
Which happened to collide with my head trying to get under the bar to get ice.
Now I was hurrying a bit. Nothing faster than normal.
I didn't slip.
I just didn't bend down far enough and my head hit the bar at the crown on my skull.
This is where the freak accident takes place.
Had I hit my forehead things might of been different but since I hit the crown and I had bent my back and neck to about a 90 degree angle my shoulders unexpectedly came in to my neck which compressed into my skull.
Fun uh?
Not so much.
I remember hitting my head and hearing a crunch.
The next thing after that I remember is seeing a coworker look at me and ask if I was ok.
I was confused because I was about 15ft away from the bar and on the floor.
Needless to say then came the tears.
I was really confused and instantly felt like throwing up.
I look back now and know that I sat a work for a bit with some ice and came home to just relax.

Little did I know that wasn't happening.
My head wouldn't stop pounding.
I was told my speech was funny.
I wasn't remembering things... like my birthday... (weird) and I couldn't stop crying from the pain.
On top of everything I was overly worried about work. I tried to go in on Friday night and after attempting to drive and after a few miles I gave up.
I felt drunk and nauseous.
At this point I knew I wasn't going into work that night either.
I don't like not working. I also have a huge complex about letting my boss down which I knew was going to happen if I wasn't ok.
I got home. Made a phone call to Jordy and asked him to help me get to the hospital.
I just knew something wasn't right.
(I have a really great friend too uh?)

20 Minutes later there I was.
The PC Intermountain Hospital with the lovely nurses who had fun shoes.
(There is a reason you are suppose to wear clean underwear and have matching socks... you know just in case!)

Being in the hospital is always a trip.
Given I have spent some time there I am still always in amazement.
For instance,
the new hospital in PC has these...
Even I could see every button.

After talking with the doctor and going over what had happened he suggested that I get a CAT-Scan and X-Ray of my neck.
Long story short.
Bad concussion. 3 Hairline fractures in my C1, C2, and C3. Sprain in my neck from middle shoulder blades up.
Awesome.

The prognosis:
First was morphine.
Love that doctor.
Then a week in my lovely new necklace. (Miserable)
Steroids.
Relaxing.
And staying mellow.
(NOT SO EASY)

So now I have been at home.
I have watched enough movies and sat still for a very long time.
I have had a few wonderful friends come by and see me.
I do feel like a freak show at the moment so it is kinda funny and entertaining at the moment.
Patrice took me to the store two days ago and laughed at me because I couldn't look up.
I literally have to lean back to look up.
It's annoying.

She thinks she is funny.
Look who is laughing now?

So friends there you have it.
Welcome to the circus.
Hopefully this is one of the last injuries to happen to me in the next little while.
I am kinda of sick of being a freak show.


*Look how handy always having a camera in your purse is. Thank you Jordy for documenting the "wonderful" evening.

3 comments:

Randi Kay said...

Brig! I'm so sorry!! I fractured my skull once while I was long boarding down Provo Canyon. I was hospitalized for 3 days. But no neck brace. You got me beat on that one. I wish I lived closer so I could be there for you. Much love!

Deanna said...

ugh that's how I feel at the chiropractor.
xoxoxo

indeazgirl said...

Bridget!! I read this at work, but they block pictures there and commenting without seeing the pictures is just dumb. I've thought about you everyday. I've never seen anybody look cuter in a c-collar in my life! I wish I could have gone grocery shopping with you. I have a feeling I would have laughed, too. But I have a feeling you would have made me laugh on purpose. I'm glad you survived your week of "being mellow" and I'm so so excited to see you in a couple days!!