Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, December 26, 2008

"Bridget, You Are Like a Sharpie"

A few months ago I met my (now) close friend Phil. In the course of getting to know one another somehow one night he told me that I had reminded him of a Sharpie. As I can remember the comparison included that Sharpies like me are bold. Yes, they do make fine tip Sharpies but, let's be honest, who actually uses them? I know that I don't really do anything quietly with fine lines and pristine definition. Sharpies like me, are permanent. They do not erase or come out of anything for that matter! Like me, he stated, I do what I do or say what I say and sometimes it sticks with a person. (Sorry for all of the bad things! :o) Sharpies, like me have many colors to choose from. Which is funny because sometimes when you need Sharpies all you can find in the store are the 2 pack that are black. Lets be honest, I do have those days when all my colors do shine, and then again I also have those days where I am mostly just black.... or black.

Over the next little while, I will admit that the previous stated conversation Phil and I had began to fade from my memory. What didn't fade was a relationship with my now alter "ego/thing" the great Sharpie. Over the course of the next few months my roommate Christine and good friend Amber got to see my immense love for Sharpies. When one of them asked to borrow a pen, I joyfully replied,"I don't have one but I have 5 Sharpies in 5 different colors." They both laughed more than once when I came out to write on Christmas presents not with a nice small pen but GIANT sized black Sharpie.

Speeding up a few weeks after Amber and Christine's new found vice of mine, a coworker mentioned, "Bridget, you always have a Sharpie in your apron. Why? You don't need one." I thought this over for a second and realized I don't need it but I love knowing I have it. This is simply for the 30 seconds every shift when I have to write my name on my plastic drinking cup at work that clearly separates my cup from all of the lightly penned or scratched in names on others cups.

So my friends there you have it. I am like a Sharpie. So now, why was I so surprised when I received all of these as gifts from more than one person for Christmas?

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Do it! Be permanent! Be bold! Be black! Be smelly! Be able to work your magic on everything! Be all that you can be...as a sharpie!
xoxoxo
PS everytime I use a sharpie, for some reason, even it is just for 3 seconds, I always seem to get ink on my hand somewhere.

indeazgirl said...

So I've finally had time to sit and deliberate on this Sharpie-ness and this is what I've decided.
One. I am amazed that deanna can get Sharpie on her. Crayolas always do this to me. But Sharpie's don't.
Two. I really think that your Sharpie presents are super cool and I always want a pack of Sharpies at the store like that and then I can't ever justify why I would need that many so I don't get them.
Three. Yes you are like a Sharpie. And I think we all kind of are. We go through life thinking we can just say and do the things we want to or the things we need to do right away and forget that people's life perceptions and their needs at the given moment are affecting their interpretation of our actions. And sometimes, people forget what we did. Sometimes, we're washable. But lots of times, people remember. And we have the opportunity to make our day-to-day interactions with people the kind of Sharpie mark you want to stick around or the kind of Sharpie you wish would wash off.
And that's what you get when I have a week to think about your post. :o)