Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Shack


As I look back over the hundreds of books that I have read I have very few that stand out in my mind. I consider myself to be fairly well read and have quite a diverse library at the end of my fingertips and when it so happens that I stumble upon a book that not only I dive right into but also completely and utterly moves me.... I marvel in amazement and count it as a great blessing.

If I were to put into words what I gained from this book our world be that much more full of life and love and the simple abilities beyond our control. This story is amazing and touching and a great way at looking at life the bigger picture outside of our own perceptions.

A few of my favorite quotes from my past few days of reading:

"Relationships are never about power, and one way to avoid the will to power is to choose to limit oneself-to serve."
"Being always transcends appearance-that which only seems to be. Once you begin to know the being behind the very pretty or very ugly face as determined by your bias, the surface appearances fade away until they simply no longer matter."
"Trust is the fruit of a relationship in which you know you are loved. Because you do not know that I love you, you cannot trust me."
"Humans have the great capacity for declaring something good or evil without truly knowing."
"So many believe that it is love that grows, but the knowing that grows and love simply expands to contain it. Love is just the skin of knowing."
"Because that is what love does..."

In my (past) life this one rang particularly true:

"Lies are little fortress; inside them you can feel safe and powerful. Through your little fortress of lies you try to run your life and manipulate others. But the fortress needs walls, so you build some. These are the justifications for your lies. You know, like you are doing this to protect someone you love, to keep them from feeling pain. Whatever works, just so you feel okay about the lies."

"Responsibilities and expectations are the basis of guilt and shame and judgment, and they provide the essential framework that promotes performance as the basis for identity and value."

"I already told you that forgiveness does not create a relationship. Unless people speak the truth about what they have done and change their mind and behavior, a relationship of trust is not possible. When you forgive someone you certainly release them from judgment, but without true change, no real relationship can be established."

Now after rereading those quotes most of you must be like, "Whooaaa what is she on?"and to be honest, I have been somewhat amazed at my own reactions to this little book as well.

I know that I am a girl who at times is still suffering over things very clear and many things unknown. In somewhat of a way I believe that we all are to some degree. Interestingly enough some of us are just more prone to recognize it than others. For those of you who do know me well you know what side of the fence I stand on with that one. For those same bunch of you, you also know the dire plea of understanding in my heart to fully be healed and free of the many sufferings of my heart.

Today, even though it is a baby step.... I feel that much closer.

Today, I feel that much safer and that much more loved.

Today even amidst the craziness of the world I know that there is a purpose for me even if I can't see it and it makes me just that much more excited to wake up to a new day tomorrow.

"You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, becasue you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.
-Frederick Buechner, Telling the Truth



* 5 out of 5 Stars! Read it Already!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

umm when are you coming back for a visit?? because when you do I want to be informed of this event. thank you and good day.