Now even though all of these DO come to my mind it is not the first image I see.
I see the year of my 1oth birthday. To me this was going to be the day that I finally go to get my own wheels. Yes, I was being liberated from 120 McAurthur Street and was allowed to know explore the city on my own. Given the only setback was I could only travel as far as my legs would allow I was not downtrodden. No, I was not discouraged to be the only 10 year old on the block to have a brand new teal grean 10 speed with a hot pink water bottle holder. I thought this would allow me to venture out into new lands only to come back and tell my friends how much more experienced in the ways of the world I was becoming! I wanted to be able to discover new places to build our "forts" and to ride across Gage Blvd. to retrieve only the best king size candy bars 7-11 had to offer. This was my weekly quest... Until one day.
We moved. I no longer was in need of my shiny new whip. I started to grow up and eventually realized that bikes were out and Rollerbaldes were in. I saw that these hip new "in-line" skates not only made you glide along with ease but, also made you appear that much older when accompanied by a hot pair of black spandex shorts. I only wanted to be and look like Kelly Kapowski.
So here is my opportunity to redeem myself. Those days of cruising through my neighborhood will once again be mine. I will not sell out to the latest fad or mode of transportation this time. I will be fair and equal and show only the utmost amount of respect for my new but yet old past time. I will once again have the cool breeze flow through my hair and bugs fly right in to my eye. I will learn to steer with no hands and never lay her on her side in the grass to allow the sprinklers to make her rust and appear worn. I will be honest and true to her.... this will be my dream for my new bike... as soon as I have enough money to go and buy her!





6 comments:
I love that I share so many childhood memories with you!! But who the heck is the boy you kissed who turned out to like boys??
that bike is adorable.
and bikes are SO back anyway! I ride mine to and from work. :) makes me want a super cute beach cruiser real bad.
ah bridget. you crack me up. you're awesome.
It's soooooo you
Hahaha!!!
Spandex and rollerblades... Thank goodness I too young and was spared that experience.
The best memory was the electric train sets that I received on my 8th Christmas. A 2-4-2 Lionel steam engine that actually blew smoke out of the stack with the help of some little tablets of unknown content that one could place in the stack. The other set was a Marx diesel switch engine that was not near as cool but still fascinating to a young boy. The Marx was actually manufactured by the Marx Toy company that was started by the Marx Brothers of comedy back in the day. The total set had two full set of .027 gauge track with electic switches and all the freight cars one could imagine. I was in little boy heaven. Girls did not come along until several years later. I love the girls still but long for the smell of the smoke from that Lionel locomotive......
Post a Comment